Our highly experienced board evaluators assess effectiveness and provide practical guidance to enhance performance, tailored for the Channel Islands.
We cover both listed and unlisted entities, including regulated financial services businesses and funds. We will share our insights of current themes and trends we are seeing across all boards.
THE ALTAIR APPROACH
Our approach is tailored to your specific requirements, but the main components of a board review usually include:
- Devising a tailored confidential online questionnaire, often in collaboration with the Chair, to be completed prior to interviews with directors.
- Observation of Board and Committee meetings to assess dynamics and how the Board members work together.
- Interviews with Board members, regular Board attendees and the Company Secretary to discuss findings from the online questionnaire and other matters such as Board culture.
- A review of Board and Committee papers and an assessment of the quality of information Board members are receiving.
- Providing a report on the effectiveness of the Board and Committees with suggested areas for enhancement. Our reports are both practical and concise, enabling Boards to plan and prioritise areas of concern or focus.
- Providing an insight to current themes and trends we are seeing across all boards.
- Presenting our report and findings to the Board and facilitating a Board discussion.
- Assist with implementation of any of the recommendations, if required.
WHO WE ARE
Clare Chalmers is an expert practitioner on board effectiveness, board evaluation, board development and a range of corporate governance issues.
She provides insight and a fresh perspective on topics such as team dynamics and diversity and specialises in helping directors and senior executives improve individual and collective performance, leading to a more effective board.
Clare had an extensive career in investment banking with companies such as BZW and Credit Suisse where she developed her understanding of corporate governance and performance evaluation. During this time, she devised new management, and client audit systems, as well as metrics for measuring progress against global strategic goals. She also devised and ran 360-degree evaluation processes, coaching, mentoring and training programmes.
Since 2007 Clare has worked as a board evaluation consultant and board adviser. As well as assisting companies from the financial services sector, she has provided board evaluation services to the broader private, public, government and not-for-profit sectors.
Ian White is a Board Evaluation and Corporate Governance practitioner. He has undertaken a number of board evaluations mainly for FTSE 100/250, private, public and not for profit organisations.
Ian has been the Chief Legal Officer and/or Company Secretary for both listed and major private companies. In addition, he spent 6 months as a governance consultant for a major international bank working on board effectiveness/ governance for the main Board.
Ian has designed and/or run courses on Corporate Governance/ The Role of the Board at institutions such as Ashridge Business School (now Hult) and the Institute of Directors as well as for regulators. His portfolio includes work for a management consultancy working with in-house legal teams and coaching executives to improve performance and develop their careers.
As well as being a lawyer Ian has an MBA from Ashridge Business School and is a CEDR Accredited Mediator.